Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Mixed Media with Chantal

It's such a nice change when I get to work with different types of mediums. Even though I have the tools to do so, I don't often do mixed media projects but there are so many fun things and techniques that you can do and come up with!


A few days ago, I decided to reorganize all my old pictures. Most of them were given to me over the years by my Grandmother before she passed away, or became mine as part of my mother's estate. I wanted my project to be inspired by my chosen photo; for it to be a representation of my childhood. I was looking for something fun, colorful and nostalgic.

I've become quite the avid vintage item collector lately and I've recently been on the lookout for vintage 1970's - 1980's Disney's Wonderful World of Reading books as they were a huge part of my childhood. I've been lucky enough to thrift some and I went ahead and incorporated a page from one of them (which was in terrible shape), in my layout.


After taking apart the vintage book, I used a page and adhered it to a white background. I then used the Cypress Scrapbook Kit stamp sentiment "these are the days" and haphazardly stamped it on my page in a few different spots. 

I then decided to stamp out a few stars onto my layout using some paint. In order to do this, I dug out an Asian pear from my refrigerator (a potato is a very good option as well) and carefully cut out the shape of a star, using a knife. I then dipped my pear into some yellow paint and stamped the shape, a few times, onto my page.


Once dry, I adhered two strips of paper (one with a fussy cut scalloped edge) on top on my story book page and sewed them down. I then added my photo, typed out some text with my vintage typewriter onto a page of printer paper and adhered with my Tim Holtz mini attacher.

With the help of my Silhouette Cameo, I cut out a circle with a star and used both pieces on my project. The circle was glued with foam tape for some added dimension and the star piece was stapled beneath the strip of text.


I then used a pencil and drew onto my white background and added a few embellishments from the Cypress Scrapbook kit (e.g: My Mind's Eye Wander enamel dots, Elle Studio Noteworthy epoxy stickers & bits and pieces).

I hope that you're inspired to try something new. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. This page is TERRIFIC. I love it. You have totally inspired me to scrap an old photo AND use book page!!!

    ReplyDelete