Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Using Cut Files with Shannon


Hey there, scrappy friends! Shannon here with a pocket page using cut files. I combined the May 2020 Journeys Life Crafted Kit with the May 2020 Scrapbooking Add-On Kit and added some cut files from the May 2020 release. I loved all the colors in the kits so they were the perfect fit for this stained glass chalk art that my daughters made in front of our house.

*note: the May 2020 Journeys Life Crafted Kit has sold out at the time this post is being published. Where possible, I will link to digital versions of products from the kit that you can print at home.


I started the project knowing that I wanted to use the GEOTAGGED Cut File to create a title card for my page. I use a Silhouette so once I brought the file into the Silhouette software I erased all of the phrases except "home." I then resized it to fit a 4x6 card. Once I had it cut, I pulled some patterned paper together to back each letter. I wanted a little variety and lots of colors! The papers are a mix of the May 2020 Life Crafted Kit papers and the May 2020 Scrapbooking Add-On Kit. I used teal cardstock as the card base to let the eye rest among all of those patterns! It was the perfect backing for the lighter teal alphas that were part of the Life Crafted kit this month. I purposely added those for a monochromatic look to, again, give the eye a chance to rest.

I will admit that this was my first time backing a cut file. I have no idea if I did it in the right or most efficient way! But I'll explain my process anyway.
1. Cut the outline.
2. Choose your patterned paper. If you're going to back the whole thing with the same patterned paper then you can simply cut the file again on that and use the negative space to back it. Otherwise...
3. Cut the paper slightly bigger than the size of the space you're backing.
4. Adhere the outline to the patterned paper using a thin line of glue.
5. Once the glue dries, use scissors or a xacto to carefully cut away the excess.


The second cut file that I used is from the JOURNEYS TITLES set. Just like with the first one, I pulled this into my software, erased what I didn't need, and resized to fit my card. Since I wanted this one on patterned paper, I chose to back it with the plain teal cardstock and the rainbow cardstock. It allowed me to add a pop of color without being too overwhelming. I used the May 2020 This Is Life DAYTRIPPING Stamp to stamp an arrow that leads the eye down to my photo. A puffy sticker from the Scrapbooking Add-On Kit completes the card. The sentiment is perfect for this die cut!



Once I had my cut files completed and placed where I wanted them, I got to work on the rest of the page. I only used one other journaling card and I kept it neutral. The card is numbered for a list so I chose to list the steps we took to make this design.  I also used some ephemera, a label, a puffy sticker, and a stamp to make my own small cluster on a photo. I didn't want to take away from the artwork that I was documenting so I had to keep it simple and small. 


I finished off the page by adding a couple of small accents to my other 4x6 photos using product from the May 2020 Scrapbooking Add-On Kit. I can't get enough of those acetate speech bubbles!


I hope I've inspired you to give the Citrus Twist cut files a try. Don't forget, subscribers get some free cut files every month! I can't wait to see what you create!


No comments:

Post a Comment