Monday, March 21, 2016

Add a personal touch to your projects with watercolors

Hello, it's Janine here and today I'd love to show you some ways to add your own personal touch to your projects! In this case it is all about using watercolors with Citrus Twist Kits' March Main Kit Sonoma.

I sometimes tend to add watercolors to my background, by painting or smudging it, but that's not what it's about today.

I am always looking for ways to make my layouts unique. Well, they are anyway, all of our projects are, because we do stuff the way we do it. But sometimes I just like to add an extra bit of myself. So I'd love to show you how to add embellishments or accents that are made by yourself only with a pencil and watercolors.


On this layout I am talking about one of my all time favorite books, 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin.

When I finished all the layering, adhering and embellishing, I had the feeling there was something missing. So I decided to add two bookshelves that I then drew in with a pencil. I watercolored them with my Derwent Inktense Pencils and the brush to tip technique, which means that you use your brush directly on the pencil tip to color your image. I really liked the soft and colorful look so I didn't outline the books and the shelf at the end.


Quick, simple and my own little touch to the project. I really do love the way it turned out. :)

Another way to add your personal touch is by creating your own watercolored embellishment! On the next layout I used a photo of my little sister, who was born when I was 15. I can't believe that I haven't scrapped about her being a baby before, because I was (and still am) amazed by her.


As I was journaling about her being a baby, I wanted to add some extra cuteness. So I drew a teddy bear with my pencil on watercolor paper, colored it again with the brush to tip technique and my Derwent Inktense Pencils, cut it out and added it to the layer cluster. I so enjoyed putting this layout together! :)


If this is too cute for your liking, what about adding some watercolor to your title? :)

The next layout (this one is 6x8 inches) is all about American Football and my son, who played for some time last year before he decided to stick with his beloved soccer. I have to say, I tried to add self-made watercolored embellishments, but it just didn't work out. It's a layout about American Football, I felt it didn't need some cuteness at all. So I decided to create my title with watercolors.


I sketched the title down with my pencil and colored it with my Peerless Watercolors that I love. They are so highly pigmented, it's a blast to color with them. To give the title some dimension I layered quite a bit of color, making sure that all the layers are dry before I add another one!


I hope I could inspire you to add some self-made watercolor embellishments or accents. I had tons of fun by playing around with different watercolor mediums and colors!

Have a wonderful week and take care! :)

2 comments: