Thursday, June 4, 2020

Creating a Flip Up with Shannon




Hello, scrappy friends! Last month, I shared a video tutorial on creating a flip-up on your pocket pages on the Citrus Twist YouTube channel. I know that YouTube videos aren't for everyone so I decided to make a written tutorial this month using the June 2020 CRAVINGS Life Crafted Kit and the scrapbooking add-on. Interactive scrapbooking is quickly becoming one of my go-to tricks when I scrapbook and it's so easy to learn!


Flip-ups can be used for hidden journaling or as a way to add more photos to your page. You'll see that I did both here! Most of the time I hide my journaling because I enjoy decorating my pages and then before I know it I've lost the room for journaling. If you want to give this a try (and you totally should), here are the six easy steps:


Step 1: Cut a piece of cardstock. I like mine to take up most of the width of the top of my card so I cut it 2.5" wide. The length is up to you, but I suggest at least 2" long so you have enough on each side to adhere to the cards/photos well.

Step 2: Fold your cardstock in half. Use a bone folder to make a good crease because you'll want it to stay mostly closed. If you don't have a bone folder you can use the side of a pen or something else that won't leave a marking on your fold.

Step 3: Test out your crease. Make sure it can stay closed pretty well.

Step 4: With your cardstock creased, adhere one side to the back of your top card. This is the card that will be the flap on top of the pocket. Make sure the crease is at the top of the card. You'll want to leave the top of the crease sticking up over the card just a hair. You'll see why in a minute!

Step 5: Open the flap and adhere your hidden photo or journaling to the inside of the flap. This is the card that will actually go into the pocket. When you adhere it, you'll want to make sure it's down just a bit from the crease. If it's too close to the crease then the flap won't stay closed well. You'll also want to make sure the sides are aligned with the flap card on the top. Otherwise, the flap won't cover the pocket completely.

Step 6: With the flap still open, adhere whatever you choose to put on the underside of the card that flips up. In this example, it's where I've placed my journaling. You might also put a photo or a journaling card there. I always adhere it with my flap partially opened so I can make sure the orientation is right when the card is flipped up. Otherwise, you risk upside down journaling! Make sure you're not adhering it right against the crease. You'll want to leave some room for the flap to open and close easily.


You'll notice that I added a little tab on the side of my top card. This is just to indicate that the card can be flipped up. Sometimes I add that, sometimes I don't. It all relates to page design. This journaling card is from the June 2020 CRAVINGS Life Crafted Kit and the "yes" is from the Yes Digital Stamp Set. I used the Digital Journaling Cards so I could add my journaling in Photoshop.

Enough about flip-ups! Let's take a look at the rest of this Life Crafted spread. I love food so I knew when I saw this journaling card with all the words like needing, wanting, craving, etc. that it would be perfect for a spread about some of my current favorite foods (and coffee, of course). That card made the perfect flip-up. Then I used the alphas from the June 2020 Life Crafted kit to write out a phrase on my picture.


On the left side of my spread I did lots of layering. I mixed pieces from the June 2020 CRAVINGS Life Crafted Kit and the scrapbooking add-on. They play so well together! I started with the photo placement and then just kept tucking things behind and on top of it until I was happy with the end result. At the top of the page, I used the physical Yes Stamp Set. I love that the back of these larger stamp sets has tons of ideas for mixing and matching the various stamps! I'm also a sucker for any stamps with ampersands and/or coffee. I kept my stamping in a neutral grey so it would blend with the ink splatters that are already a part of the Digital TN Papers. Plus, the bottom of this page is pretty busy and I didn't want to overwhelm it.


Combining a full size traveler's notebook page with the page protector that holds 2-3x4 cards/photos is one of my favorite ways to use the Life Crafted albums. It allows me some extra creativity on the TN side of the spread and lets me use the wonderful journaling cards that come in the Citrus Twist monthly kits on the pocket side!


I hope I've inspired you to try creating a flip-up on a pocket page. If you do, please share it with us on Instagram or the Citrus Twist Kits Fan Page on Facebook. I can't wait to see what you create!



No comments:

Post a Comment