Sunday, September 1, 2013

Meeting Our Guest Designer Susan Mannecke

Suz's Bio: Suz lives with her husband of 18 years and two sons in the Ozark Mountains of southwest Missouri. She is an optometric physician who turned a SAHM after the birth of her second son. Her creations have been published in several issues of Scrapbook Trends, Create, and Cards magazines and she currently designs for Elle's Studio and Come On Get Crafty. More of Suz's designs can be found on her personal blog; http://www.livealifeextraordinary.blogspot.com, as well as online at Two Peas, Twitter, and Instagram; User ID "SuzMannecke." (no spaces)



Guest Design Q&A

1. How long have you been scrapbooking and why did you start? I have been paper crafting and designing in some form or another since childhood, but seriously fell in love with scrapbooking after the birth of my first son and the inception of Creating Keepsakes Magazine.

2. How would you describe your scrapbooking style? Wow, this is a kind of a tricky question as my style has definitely evolved over the years. I guess I would say I am a messy scrapbooker (You should see the "Craftermath" {Thanks Pinterest for this fitting word!} of my scrap space when I have completed a project!) who creates clean and simple layouts (Ironic, I know!)with graphic lines. I like to design with products that are an eclectic mix of embellishments, misting, mixed media, Silhouette cuts, stamping, stitching and more. I really enjoy trying new techniques and new trends while staying true to my own design aesthetic.

3. What scrapbookers have influenced you most? Another tricky question, but I would have to say, longevity-wise, Ali Edwards and Becky Higgins. Ali's way of combining photos + words is uh-MA-zing and Becky's genius in bringing Project Life to the world has opened up a whole new way of documenting for not only seasoned scrapbookers, but also those who don't consider themselves creative but still want a way to preserve family memories. More recently, I have been inspired by Wilna Furstenburg. As a momma to two boys, scrapping pretty, delicate, romantic layouts is not much of an option, but Wilna's talent with mixed media has opened up a whole new world of scrap play for me and has me thinking about ways to stretch and to grow as a designer.

4. What is your favorite thing about kit clubs? I love that kit clubs give me a concentrated starting point for my creativity. It is helpful having a set amount of items to work with and I find it helps me stay focused on getting things documented rather than dwelling over which embellishment or patterned paper to use from my stash. I still occasionally add an extra item non-kit item here or there from my stash, but it is so fun to see just how much I can create from just one kit! I find kits really help me to be more efficient and productive with my creativity.

5. If you departed on a week-long trip to anywhere in the world, what are your 5 favorite scrapbooking items you would bring with you (besides your camera and photos!)? Probably my favorite black pen, a prepped base/foundational mini album, adhesive, Tim Holtz Tiny attacher and my Mac Book Pro.

6. How would you describe the Citrus Twist September Main and Embellie Kits and what do you enjoy most about these kits? I really enjoyed the generous variety of embellishments in the kits and all of the awesome wood veneers! The patterned papers in the main are a great mix of feminine "soft and lovely" combined with some masculine, graphic lines. Oh, and the stamps sets? {Ah yes, the stamps sets! #yesplease!}

Suz's Top Five Fave Store Items:

1. Tim Holtz Tiny attacher refills
2. Prima Chalk Ink; Old Road
3. Precision Pen Black 03
4. AC Roxie Clear Alphabet stamp set
5. Tombo Multi adhesive

Remember to leave Susan some love and you will be entered in to win ONE of her favorite items.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your choice of Ali and Becky; two amazing women that have impacted the scrap world in a big way. Love your work Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to see your work at CT! Ali E is a fav of mine too. Tiny attacher is also a fave!!! Can never have too many refills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you GO girl! SOOOO happy for all the great opportunities you've been given this year, totally deserving! Hugs friend & cannot wait to see even more of your designs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope to see your work here :) I love Becky too! Got to know of PL through her items :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you Suz!! You know I'm a fellow Ali stalker!! Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the warm welcome! Be sure to stop back on Thursday, Sept 12, for the reveal of September's kits!!

    ReplyDelete