Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Guessing Game #3--Tuesday Tutorial

It's Trina here today sharing a tutorial on using stencils and homemade mists. At CHA Summer 2013 I was lucky enough to meet Heidi Swapp and see her in action using acrylics, modge lodge, mists and stencils. She is my inspiration for this tutorial.

My Supply List
  • September "Wander" Kit Add-On (plus some washi from September's Mai kit)
  • Modge Podge
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Mini Misters (CTK store) http://citrustwistkits.com/store.php
  • NEW! TCW tiny chevron tiles stencil (CTK store)
  • NEW! Milo's alphabet stamp set from Lawn Fawn (CTK store)
Here is the result of my play time. Can you guess what new CHA products were used?



My tutorial is focusing on how I used t he Mini Misters (Ranger) for my first time. I decided to be courageous and learn by trial and error. I started by filling the misters about 1/3 full of water then adding just a few drops of acrylic paint for coloring. I found a little bit of acrylic goes a long way. Next, I shook the misters up and was ready to mist!


Here are my Mini Misters. (They look full because I added more acrylic than I needed to, so added more water to dilute the color.) See the wonderful new stencil from The Crafter's Workshop? I couldn't wait to try out stencil/modgepodge/acrylic/misting Heidi Swapp style!


My medium for stenciling is a mix of half Modge Podge and half white acrylic paint. I used a plastic bag to mix the two mediums together. Next I spritzed on a little of my custom-made mist and used a wadded up paper towel to mix it all together and apply the mixture over the stencil.


Next, I placed the Tiny Chevron Tiles over my background paper and applied the mixture by dabbing it over the stencil. This wonderful mixture of half Modge Podge/half acrylic dries surprisingly fast! I layered the coral-colored mixture right over the yellow-colored mixture and blended it a little with the paper towel. (TIP: When using this Modge-Podge mixture, be sure to rinse your stencil off right away with warm water.)


Here is a close-up of my finished creation. After the paint from stenciling dried, I used my Mini Mister and spritzed over part of the layout. Can you guess where those cute arrows and crosses come from?


Here's the other side of my page, with a close-up of the stencil use.


I couldn't resist using the brand new Lawn Fawn Milo's alphabet for stamping on this page. I love how casual and relaxed this stamp set looks. We just got this alphabet stamp set in the Citrus Twist store and I have a feeling I'll be using it lots.


Thanks for stopping by to visit today. I'd been looking forward to getting my hands on these Mini Misters and trying my hand at making my own custom mists. I can't believe how easy--and playful--they are to use. They work perfect with the adorable new TCW stencils.

I was pleasantly surprised at how versatile the September "Wander" kit add-on is. I know I'll be able to get lots of different looks out of this kit.

Be sure to leave your guesses as to what new CHA products were used or just your comments to be entered into our Guessing Game drawing for a Citrus Twist gift certificate!

Trina

18 comments:

  1. The arrows and crosses look like something from the MME Cut & Paste line. Super cute either way!

    Thanks for a great tutorial! I have some of those misters and haven't pulled them out for bit. I might have to pull out a little paint & mod podge and play with a stencil too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, they do seem like MME Cut & Paste...but they aren't!

      Delete
  2. I see new enamel shapes from MME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are enamel shapes NEW from MME! Great guess. :)

      Delete
  3. My guess for the crosses is Basic Gray Persimmon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool layout! Love the misting with the stencil! Looking forward to getting some of those misters and enamel triangle dots in-house along with that LF alpha stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fell in love with this stamp set and know it will be used over and over again!

      Delete
  5. I don’t have any guesses but I love love love that you shared this tutorial with us! I can’t wait to give it a try. I have a canvas I’ve been wanting to play with and I think the mod-podge/misting/stenciling would be fun to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who ever would have thought Modge Podge?! Not me. I was delighted to see Heidi Swapp use this mixture...although she demo'd with her shimmer mists.

      Delete
  6. Wow looks like a fun tutorial :) I guess the product is the MME enamel arrows, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Angeline. Enamel shapes new from MME used!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing the ideas with the mini misters. They look like they'll be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the October Afternoon Daily Flash wash. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled that from the Main September kit Tina, because it works perfect with the add-on kit, too! We are looking forward to more Daily Flash in the near future.

      Delete
  10. what an awesome layout! Love the stencil/misting effect!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your layout is gorgeous, Trina! Thanks for the tutorial on recreating it.

    ReplyDelete