Monday, September 6, 2021

MEET OUR SEPTEMBER 2021 GUEST DESIGNER: JEN MCMURTREY

 


Hello there!

Today we are very excited to introduce our first guest designer for September.  She is an amazing designer with a great eye for color, story telling and always eye catching projects.  She is also a friend of ours, and we are so happy she is joining us for this month.   Here is Jen McMurtrey!



 My name is Jen McMurtrey, and I live in a small agricultural town in southeastern Washington State (the population is just over 6,000 people). My husband Dan and I have three kids: Phoebe, 26; Caleb, 21; and Abby, 17; as well as three dogs who make regular appearances in my projects. Currently, I work as a business education teacher at the local high school where I teach business communications, accounting, business management, and career exploration classes. Additionally, I am an adviser for two clubs that keep me very busy this time of year. Prior to teaching at the high school, I taught business classes for four years at a college 50 miles from here before moving into the associate dean position. With all of the craziness in my life, crafting is what keeps me sane. Currently, I work on the creative teams for Elle’s Studio, Simple Stories, and Studio Forty; and doing so is a dream come true. I am so excited and feel so honored to be guest designing for Citrus Twist Kits and can’t wait to share my projects.




Q&A with JEN

·         When did you start scrapbooking?

In 2001, I was taking courses at the local community college and befriended a group of classmates who took me to a crop one Friday night at the LSS. I had no idea what to expect other than them telling me to bring a few photos. From the moment I stepped into that store, I was absolutely hooked. Never had I ever seen so many stickers and fun papers! It has been in the last ten years that I have been scrapbooking consistently and that is due in large part to being on various creative teams. Scrapbooking is my therapy and truly brings me joy. If I were able to craft in some capacity, I don’t know what I would do.

·         What is something most people would not know about you?

In my early 20's, I had a pet pot-bellied pig named Lucy who lived in my apartment and went everywhere with me . . . rides in the car, walks in the park, and over to my parents' house to visit. Sadly, she passed due to an uncanny series of events that I won't go into. However, her story was published in the local newspaper and later picked up by the Paul Harvey Show . . . and, "now you know the rest of the story." 🙂 

·         What are the 3 scrapbooking products you can’t live without?

First and foremost would have to be white cardstock, which is a staple on the majority of my projects. Any and all floral die cuts would have to be next because I love flowers and put them on everything. The third and last item has to be enamel dots because they add that extra bit of color and texture to projects that makes them feel complete.

·         What do you love about the September – Scrapbooking Add-on Kit?

Seriously, I love everything about the kit; however, the CTK ephemera packs were my favorite. They have this cool vintage vibe about them that reminds me of graphics from when I was kid.

·         Finish this sentence “If you could see my scrapbooking space now . . . “

. . . you would think a bomb went off! It is a hot mess right now!!





This is Jen's first project using our September Add on kit, True Life V1 Stamp set,  and  HERE WE GO Die Cut ephemera ( CTK Exclusives).






We love how she has combined our exclusive ephemera in small clusters through the length of her page( and all the repeated photo of her youngest daughter)





Her focal point is accented with a color photo and a large cluster of ephemera from our Add on Kit and exclusive ephemera, too




Her title work is just gorgeous.   She created a stamped line of sentiments using our True Life V1 stamp set.  Then added a title combining our Puffy words and alphas to continue the look of the stamped border.    She then finished her page with a last cluster of embellishments, ink drops and our September enamel dots.







Thank you so much Jen for this gorgeous project, and letting us learn a bit more about you.   Jen will be back during the month to share more of her talent with us.  You can always find her on Instagram to check her latest projects and lots of inspiration @jencmc72  https://www.instagram.com/jenmc72/


XO





No comments:

Post a Comment