Wednesday, March 22, 2017

House + Love = Home | Mini Album with Elsie

Hey CTK friends, it's Elsie here and I'm really excited to share the mini album I made with this month's Oliver kit. I had such a blast working with this kit!

To me, creating the structure of mini albums always seems like a really overwhelming and gruelling task, because I’m impatient to get into the fun decorating bit. But the 6x4 chipboard pieces in this months Main kit, made the mini album ‘construction’ super easy! 


I created a cover from the chipboard pieces, a small piece of cardboard (for the spine), some fabric and mod podge… and that’s it! No fancy tools or tricks and I had a sturdy and pretty album cover in no time. You can totally switch out the fabric cover for paper, but I think the fabric gives the album an extra bit of durability, and I’m notorious for accidentally ruining paper mini album covers!

Also to decorate the spine I used the Life Adventures stamp set and heat embossed the label with some gold embossing powder, for some extra sparkle!


I decided to split the book into two halves. The left side holds a small pocket which I'm storing a couple of spare photos and a tag with some journalling on it. And on the right side, I made this book out of white cardstock which is bound together with an accordion folded spine. (I'll hopefully have a tutorial up on my YouTube channel by the end of the week, to show you exactly how I made this)


This little book isn't actually adhered to the cover. I decided to not attach it because as you can see, it's a little chunky (!) so I wanted to be able to remove it so it was easier to look through. 






The first spread in the book doesn't have a photo. I wanted to create a title page and I mainly used some of the pieces from the Domestic Bliss ephemera pack (from the Sprinkles kit), to create a little scene.


This might be my favourite page in the album as it really makes me smile. The household ephemera pieces worked so perfectly with this photo that I've been wanting to document for a while. I was also pretty proud of using that washing machine, as I didn't think I would be able to find a way to use it as it is!



I love the spring colours in the papers from the Main kit, I grabbed a couple of flower and leaves stamps from my stash and fussy-cut them out. This was a super simple technique, but I love how fresh the page feels.



I love the exclusive CTK paper in this month's kit, it's such a gorgeous shade of yellow. I only have the tiniest scrap of it left, and I'm seriously going to have to hoard it!!



The Crate Paper cut-apart sheet from the Oasis collection had some really lovely elements I could to fussy-cut out. This page came together really easily because of that. And the exclusive cork pieces and stamps set from CTK were the perfect finishing touches to use for this page. I love that 'shenanigans' stamp, it's such a fun phrase to use!


I always like to make my mini albums as tactile as possible, so I always try to include different textures, flaps and pockets with hidden journalling or photos and windows... so I literally created a little window, where you can see the photos on both pages at once. I think this looks super whimsical and works well with the "home" theme of this album. 


Thanks for joining me today, I hope your inspired to create a mini album with this month's kit! 

- Elsie x

1 comment: