Monday, April 8, 2019

Welcome our April Guest Designer - Missy Whidden!!


We are so delighted to share our April Guest Designer with you - the amazingly talented, Missy Whidden!  To say we are fans of Missy's gorgeous creations is an understatement and we're thrilled to be able to share on of her layouts on the blog today!

------------------------------------

GET TO KNOW MISSY

Hey there, friends!  I’m Missy Whidden, and I’m from sunny Central Florida, USA.  I’ve lived here all my life, and I’m married to my college sweetheart.  We’ve been married for 19 years now, and we have two beautiful daughters.  Reese is 12 and Paige is 10, and they both have nonverbal autism.  Life around our house is never boring, that’s for sure!  They are the sweetest and funniest kids, and they are very happy.  I used to teach high school English before stepping down to raise our girls.  I’m also a fitness instructor, and I’ve been teaching a variety of classes for 15 years.  When I’m not scrapping, I’m either at the gym, reading or watching Netflix.

I began scrapping back in 2006.  My mother-in-law asked me to help her put together a baby book of my husband’s baby photos.  I was hooked instantly and started scrapping all of our travel photos.  Once Reese arrived, I went crazy scrapping her baby photos.  I haven’t stopped…haha!  I love using mixed media on my layouts.  I love using watercolors, acrylics, gelatos, spray inks…you name it.  I also using cut files and pretty papers.  A few other things I love are stitching and thread.  I tend to stick with 12x12 layouts mostly, and scrapping pool and summer photos are my favorite!

Q & A WITH MISSY

When did you start scrapbooking?

I’ve always been creative, and I used to collect stickers in elementary school.  I had several sticker books, so I guess you could call that scrapbooking.  My very first scrapbook was my senior memories book in high school.  It was so thick it would barely close!  I didn’t realize at the time that it was scrapbooking.  I was just collecting memories, and I had no idea that years later it would become my passion.  I put together a few photo books of my students when I taught high school, but I didn’t get serious about scrapping photos until 2006.

What is something most people would not know about you?

Most people don’t know that I was part of a Super Bowl Half-Time Show.  Back in 2001, I was a JV Cheerleading Coach at the high school I taught at.  There was a call for groups of girls to take part in the show, so somehow our group was chosen.  The game was in Tampa that year, and the performers were NSYNC, Aerosmith, Britney Spears and a few more.  All of the groups of girls were to be the “fans” screaming and cheering for them on the field.  We all got bussed in and had to wait in the stadium tunnels until it was time to run out for the concert.  We jumped and screamed and yelled while they performed.  It was such a fun experience, but we never did see ourselves on TV…haha!

What are the 3 scrapbooking products you can’t live without?

I definitely can’t live without gesso, spray inks and thread!  It’s so hard to only pick three.  I’m a gesso addict because it makes mixed media work so much better!  Spray inks (or any kind of watercolor) are just magic as they spread, flow and blend.  And my beloved thread…ahhhh.  It makes my texture & color loving heart so happy!

What do you love about the new Life Crafted kit?

The Make it a Venti Kit is so cute and versatile.  My favorite things are those super bright patterned papers!  I knew right away I needed to create a rainbow color scheme of some sort.  I also love the tiny white foiled alpha stickers.  You can use them on any type of project!

Finish this sentence "If you could see my scrapbooking space right now . . . "

If you could see my scrapbook space right now, you would be mortified!  It stays in a constant state of chaos.  I scrap in our home’s old formal dining room, and I’m so thankful I have my own space.  However, it’s very brown…haha.  Our house was built in the 50s, and it’s wood.  I have two walls of just windows, which I love.  But the other two walls have doors.  I have pretty much maxed out the remaining space with IKEA shelves and my big desk.  I have papers and things scattered this way and that, and my desk looks like a total disaster 98% of the time.  You would definitely not be inspired by it at the moment…haha!

The only thing that is semi organized at the moment are my rolling carts full of Shimmerz Paints.  I keep them right behind my desk so when I need them I can just turn around and grab what I need.





----------------------------

Here is a layout I made using mostly the April Scrapbooking Add-On Kit mostly.  


I was inspired by the Crate Paper Sunny Days Washi Tapes, so I used those and some of the patterned papers to create circles using different sized punches.  


I used some white gesso & pink spray inks on the patterned paper background first, and then I glued & machine stitched all the circles.  



I added some of the Crate Paper Ephemera as layers behind my photo and added some tangled thread.  


I mixed and matched my title using a Crate Paper word sticker & some letters I fussy cut from patterned paper.  


I tucked those letters behind the photo so they would peek out at the top.  I finished things off with a few cute Citrus Twist stamps!


---------------------------------

You can see more of Missy's amazing work on Instagram or her YouTube channel!







No comments:

Post a Comment