Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday Tutorial with our Guest Designer Kay Roger

Hi all! Kay here with a confession to make. I'm a kit killer. There, I said it.
Seriously? I love the challenge of creating with kits. And every month I make myself use up the contents of my kits. I went through the hoarding phase at one point in this hobby and here's what I found.
  • The more supplies I had, the less creative I was.
  • I used to worry that about "using up" or running out of  my favorite supplies. But the truth is there is always something new and fun coming out, replacing my "have to have" list in a hurry.
  • My creative time is limited. If I pull from the kit, almost exclusively, I not only use up my kit but I save the time of rummaging for supplies.
I normally get 5 - 6 layouts from a kit. I try to make them look different enough that no one would know they were from the same kit. I look at it as an "assignment," and I stick with it. And once those layouts are done I empty the kit box remnants into my larger stash. Then I stalk the mailman obsessively for my next kit. ;)
Here are the 5 layouts I made with the November kit.
First up, the sketch layout.

Sketch-1

I love how the kit can have a summer feel as well. I love this pic of my daughter a beloved family friend!
Everyday-1
 
For this layout I wanted a funkier feel with a bit more drama. The dark background with vibrant colors helped me achieve that.
 
CoolKid-1

This layout is my oldest and her bridesmaids. I wanted the picture to be the main focus.

3Trues-1
This layout of my oldest and her husband is one of my favorite types of layouts. I can use up my scraps, and keep the layout fun.
 
Hello-1
 
Any other kit killers out there? I'd love to hear how you use up your kits!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment