Sunday, May 1, 2022

Sunday Sketch with Kira

 



Hey there!  It's Kira and I am back with another Sunday Sketch using the May Craving kit.  First, here's a look at the sketch I will be using today:


And here's a look at my take on the sketch:

My family and I recently took a road trip to Las Cruces, NM.  My late father-in-law went to school here and my husband was looking for a way to connect with some of the memories he had when he was a child.  So, it seemed only natural that we visit my father-in-law's favorite restaurant while we were in town.  Since the sketch included a single landscape photo, and I usually only take portrait style, I decided to print out a larger photo of my husband and two smaller photos of our children.  

The colors on my husband's shirt worked well with the kit colors, but my children's clothing did not, so I decided to print their photos in black and white.  I decided to keep one side of the layout with a white background and the opposite using some of the papers from the kit.  

But once I started placing my photo and embellishments on the white background, it felt a little flat to me.  Which gave me the idea to add fork cut files to my white background and stitch over the top of them.  This gave just enough texture and interest to not feel so boring.  

I typed up my journaling on one of the other digital papers (which I turned the opacity up on, so you might notice the color is a little more subtle than it looks in the shop).  I cut the journaling out, roughed up the edges and added a little stitching for texture.  

I felt like the right side was missing some white, so I brought in one of the forks to add just a little pop of the white.  I finished off the whole layout with die cuts, chipboard stickers and puffy stickers from the May kit.  And done!

Thanks for stopping by!  I can't wait to see how you use this week's sketch!

xo, Kira 



No comments:

Post a Comment