Sunday, August 1, 2021

Sunday Sketch with Shannon

 



Hello there, friends! Shannon here with your Sunday Sketch for this weekend. What I love most about sketches is that you can interpret them in many different ways. You could make quite a few different layouts using just one sketch - and they may not even look the same! I took some creative liberty with the sketch this week. Let's look at the sketch and how I interpreted it.



So different, right? Yes! But let's look at how I translated the sketch into this page.

1. Shrink It Down: I took this sketch, which is designed for an 8.5x11 or 9x12 page, and shrunk it down to fit 5x8.5. This definitely cost me some real estate, but I made it work.

2. Flip It: In the sketch, the design flows horizontally across the page. Because of my smaller page design, it didn't make sense for me to have a horizontal design. So I simply rotated it to a verticle design. I used papers from the Peachy Keen 6x8 Paper Pad (which actually coordinates well with the August 2021 Ephemera!).


3. Swap Out Items: Sometimes there will be parts of a sketch that just don't work for you. In my case, it was a tag with journaling. I wanted my journaling on a 3x4 card in a pocket so I omitted this from the sketch. But I did like the larger pieces of patterned paper so I still kept mine long and wide like in the sketch (just flipped 90 degrees). Instead of adding the title below my photo, I used a great piece of word art from the August Ephemera Pack as my title above the photo.



4. Squish It: In the sketch, there is a lot of white space. Since I worked with a larger photo, my white space was at a minimum. To make it work, I squished everything in a little closer together.

5. Keep What Works: There were a lot of things that I kept about this sketch - the top border with an embellishment, the labels at the bottom of the photo, the layering, lots of embellishments with only 2 sheets of patterned paper, and the embellishments moving around the page (though I did swap out the butterflies and used plus signs instead). I even used a chipboard sticker on top of the labels like in the sketch.


I hope I've inspired you to look at sketches a little differently. They are such a great tool to have in your scrapbooking tool kit!



No comments:

Post a Comment