Today we would like you to meet our Guest Designer Jen Schow! Jen is going to be creating with our November Scrapbook Kit which will be available today at 10 pm PST!
MEET JEN SCHOW
Hi there! Jen Schow here, and I’m excited to be the guest designer this month! I'm a thirty-something mom of one who started scrapbooking when I was 12 and hasn’t looked back! I love making pretty things and process videos and loves puffy stickers and telling stories that matter.
Here's a peak at where I work:
Q&A with Jen
1. Can you describe yourself in 3 words? Introverted, Loyal, Silly
2. What are your scrapbooking quirks? I don’t know if this is a quirk, but I love doing fussy or busy work. I love cutting florals out of patterned paper. I love using adhesive tape because then I can peel all of the backing off before I stick it down. I love popping words up on foam squares when sometimes I have to cut the foam squares to fit all the tiny spaces. Weird, yeah?
3. What scrapbookers have influenced you most? This is a hard question. I’ve been inspired and influenced by so many, but there are a few who taught me things that I will forever be grateful for…Ali Edwards showed me the importance of story. Shimelle Laine showed me how to talk about my process in a helpful way. Wilna Furstenberg showed me that it’s okay to make a beautiful mess and get creative with paint.
4. What is your favorite thing about your November Citrus Twist kit? This is like asking me which half of my baby I want, but I think I’ll go with the stamps. I LOVE the magical phrases. :)
5. What is always by your side when you scrapbook? My typewriter, my sewing machine, and my tiny attacher, probably. Really, everything at my desk is in arms reach and I love that.
I always find it hard to create my first layout with a kit because I want to use ALL THE THINGS! But when I saw the striped patterned paper from Crate Paper, an idea sprang to mind.
When papers have a natural line in them, like the place where these stripes intersect, I always want to add stuff to the line. So that’s just what I did. I started with a photo of my cute nice and nephews and decided to add a bit of gesso + spray mist to the background where I wanted my photo to go.
I added a bunch of words on the vertical line using a combination of the Pinkfresh word stickers, Citrus Twist die cuts, and stamps.
I matted my photo with some white computer paper (great if you want lots of layers without the bulk!), and the ticket patterned paper from Crate Paper. See that aqua tab poking out of the top left of the photo? That’s part of the patterned paper that I cut around instead of squaring off to create a tab. It was a happy accident, but I decided to play it up by adding more tabs and tags from the die cuts and cut aparts.
I added my journaling to the “loving” square from the cut-aparts and finished the layout by adding some chipboard hearts and glittery stars. I love all of the little details on this page - maybe more than the whole!
I can’t wait to see what everyone creates with this lovely kit and I’ll be back later this month with more inspiration. :)